Compression of Files
- BZIP2 is an open format; source codes (libbzip2) and applications are freely available (licence similar to BSD).
- The Burrows-Wheeler-Transformation (BWT)  is used together with Huffman coding  to compress data.
- BZIP2 is well suited to compress both single files and data streams.
- The GZIP format is specified in RFC 1951; source code and applications are available under GPL.
- The compression method Deflate  (RFC 1951) is used.
- GZIP is well suited to compress both single files and data streams.
- Several data compression methods are defined for ZIP:
e.g. Deflate , Deflate64 , Reduced, Shrunk.
- ZIP files could contain more than one file each one compressed individually.
- The ZIP structure allows splitting of an archive file into several single files.
- ZIP is specified publically.
< ^ >